In a previous post, I talked about the benefits of your chapter having a presence on Twitter. In addition to the basic website interface, there are a multitude of ways you can expand Twitter’s usefulness, and make it work for your chapter. I would like to share with you my current favorite add-on for Twitter: FutureTweets.
FutureTweets allows you to schedule your tweets ahead of time, automatically tweeting for you. There are a number of other websites and applications that can do this for you as well, but I have found FutureTweets to be the most user friendly.
Scheduling your tweets ahead of times is great for those such as myself who suffer from occasional forgetfulness. It will allow your chapter to appear to be always “on the ball”, even though that may not be the case.
So what can I use this for anyway?
– Schedule a tweet celebrating the local and/or national founding date of every chapter on your campus.
– Schedule a tweet celebrating the birthdays of your members (remember to include their Twitter username if they have one).
– Do your chapter/e-board/committee meetings tend to move around a lot? Schedule a reminder of the meeting times and locations for every meeting this semester.
– Use it to promote your events. Schedule a couple tweets a day leading up to the event with event details, and a link to more information about it.
– Schedule tweets for important holidays. You probably won’t be thinking about tweeting on the holidays, but it’s nice for your chapter to send out a nice tweet celebrating the holiday.
A word of warning: According to their website, Futuretweets will take a break on June 30th for an “unknown period of time”. For security and brand preservation reasons, Twitter is abandoning the old API’s basic authentication methods in favor of oAuth. This doesn’t concern me much, as I’m sure FutureTweets will update accordingly; but you may be without the service for a short period of time.
Do you have a favorite Twitter tweak? Share it in the comments section.